Wine Sleuthing 2.0
2020 has quickly provided a great, unexpected surprise. No, I’m not going political on you. This discovery relates to the online wine world.
The clues were there but I just kept getting sidetracked by the silly name and seemingly casual attitude.
Then this week with the offer of a fabulous Châteauneuf-du-Pape and special Zinfandel, it was impossible yto ignore the clues.
Winespies, a wine merchant that I’ve been hesitant to write about, has totally won me over with its exciting daily specials throughout January.
It meets and often now exceeds my 5 basic criteria:
- Sourcing under the radar, first rate wines from non-corporate wineries
2. Discounting in the 25-50% range, closer to 50%
3. Providing informative background material about the wine and people
4. Avoiding over-hyped, point scores and fake reviews
5. Offering good free shipping options with temperature control
The standout wines in January that helped make me a new fan are an Oakville Cabernet, Napa Valley Merlot, Anderson Valley Pinot Noir, Brut Premier Cru Champagne and a knockout Zinfandel blend from the Sierra Foothills.